Saturday, October 6, 2007

Snacking, Zambian Style

This is my mango tree in the back yard. My tree is not very big, but we still get hundreds of mangoes every year. Unfortunately, they only last for a couple of months. When it is mango season, people like to come and take a bagful of mangoes home with them.
Clara demonstrates what to do when the mango is just too high up. If you hit it enough, it will eventually fall down. With the bigger mango trees, children usually climb up to pick the mangoes.
Now Clara demonstrates eating a mango. Mangoes are very stringy and juicy. I usually end up with a messy face by the time I eat a couple of them. That is why Clara is the one demonstrating here. It does get a bit annoying to pick all the strings out of your teeth. I've contemplated giving up on mangoes many times, but I always come back for more.
Sugar Cane is another popular item especially in Kalulushi. There is a certain place where the cast off sugar cane remains are about 6 inches thick across the whole field. It makes quite an adventure for walking. Anyway, sugar cane tastes like sugar. You have to just about break your teeth to take off the outside layer. Then you chew on the middle before spitting that out. I don't enjoy it very much. I must have weak jaws. And I think I prefer my sugar with a bit of chocolate. By the way, this is my friend, Cotildah.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the anniversary Sunday looked great! Daniel was so cute in his suit. Hey i just googled Zambian missionary blogs and there are tons! Maybe i can hitch a ride for a visit. Keep up the good work.